Sunday, October 19, 2014

Werewolf and Fall Wedding Cake - Perfect for a Howl-o-ween Wedding!

Let me first start off by saying this, I am not an especially skilled cake decorator. That doesn't mean though that I cannot bake (excusing the apricot disasters) because this recipe is so delightfully easy and tasty.

I have a few helpful pointers though to give ya'll before you start and make the same mistake I did! (We do not want sagging cakes!)


Rule Number 1: Do not use a SPONGE cake as a stacking cake… Unless you like sagging cakes like a Floridian sinkhole…
Rule Number 2: Let the cakes cool before you frost them! Trust me on this…
Rule Number 3: Even if you mess up decorating, realize you just made a tasty treat! (Even if it looks like you just threw stuff on a platter.)

This is a two part recipe! First is the cake, and then a simple vanilla buttercream frosting.

Sponge Cake

  • Eggs (4)
  • Sugar (2 Cups)
  • Vanilla Extract (1 Teaspoon)
  • Whole Milk (1 Cup)
  • Butter (1/4 Cup)
  • Flour (2 Cups)
  • Baking Powder (2 Teaspoons)
  • Salt (1/4 Teaspoon)

Instructions

  • Take the Eggs and beat them vigorously for 5 minutes, add in the Sugar and Vanilla and beat again for another 5 minutes.
  • Add in the Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt mixing well.
  • In the meantime heat the Milk and Butter in a small saucepan until they are well combined. Add this mix back into the rest of the batter mixing well.
  • Grease two 8 inch pans (or whatever sized ones you want) and pour cake into them only half way. 
  • Preheat oven to 325 Degrees Fahrenheit, and bake until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. 
  • Let cool for 10 minutes and flip out onto a surface. Set aside.

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

  • Powdered Sugar (3 Cups)
  • Butter (1 Cup)
  • Vanilla Extract (1 Teaspoon)
  • Whipping Cream (2 Tablespoons)

Instructions

  • Mix together the Powdered Sugar and Butter until well combined, and finish mixing the rest of the ingredients in too.
  • If the mixture is too thick add some more Whipping Cream, if the mixture is too wet add some more Powdered Sugar.
Since I'm not very good at explaining this, and since I'm not a Vlogger as well - I'll just include this on how to ice a cake!



In all honesty I think my cake looks like no one knew what they were doing, but hey I'm still including in because why not! Plus it's going to make you feel better when you may be thinking, "Wow my cake kinda looks like shit!"
I think no matter what though, it's about how it tastes, and I assure you this is a really yummy recipe!

So without further pointless ramblings: Here's my cake!

A Little Messy, But Still Festive!!

I'd love to see other's cake pictures, and if you're a beginner like me have no shame in what yours looks like! Sheesh I even blogged about how bad my pastry attempt was - and I could've lied. 

Tune back in for tomorrow's pre-cook post!

No comments:

Post a Comment