Friday, October 24, 2014

Homemade Three Cheese Ravioli

Perfect Kitty Paw Print
Hazards of Cooking with a Cat in the Kitchen
Okay, okay, I'm normally not one to brag - until now that is! This was hands down my best dish, better than best. I can't believe I pulled these perfect little pillows of pasta into something so delicious with only ten ingredients. Yes ten ingredients!
I think one of the things I find that annoys me sometimes when I'm researching recipes, or how to make something, everyone always has that one piece of equipment you would never normally own. (Or plain and simple can't afford.) I do not have a pasta machine, nor do I have a stand mixer, and I certainly don't believe you can only make "good raviolis" utilizing said tools.
Therefore I bring you my recipe, wherein you don't need expensive tools to make a perfect ravioli.


Homemade Three Cheese Ravioli

  • Pasta Sauce (2 Cups)

Dough

  • Flour (3 Cups)
  • Eggs (2)
  • Olive Oil (1/4 Cup, I used a Rosemary Infused Olive Oil)
  • Water (1/2 Cup)
  • Salt (1/2 Teaspoon)

Three Cheese Filling

  • Ricotta Cheese (15 Ounces)
  • Aged Cheddar Cheese (1/2 Cup, Shredded)
  • Aged Parmesan Cheese (1/2 Cup, Shredded)
  • Eggs (2)
  • Salt (1/2 Teaspoon)
  • Pepper (1/2 Teaspoon)

Instructions

  • In a large bowl mix together from the dough ingredients the Eggs, Olive Oil, Water, and Salt. Slowly add the Flour one cup at a time. Mix until it forms a well formed dough ball.
  • Set aside for 10 minutes, and in the meantime mix together all of the three cheese filling ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
  • Lightly flour a working surface and roll out the dough as thin as possible (without it becoming flimsy). 
  • Using a regular drinking glass cut out circles around the dough. (Almost like a cookie cutter.)
  • Place a small tablespoon of the three cheese filling in the center of each circle, and fold in half. Use a small amount of water to seal the edges and take a fork to the edge to help hold the ravioli's filling inside.

  • Boil a large pot of water, and drop the ravioli's in for approximately 5 minutes. (Don't overcook the pasta!)
  • Strain the pasta gently, place back in a pan with the sauce and heat for about 2 minutes.
  • Plate and Enjoy!


These were amazing, and I really truly believe everyone should attempt to make their own ravioli. If nothing for the fun of it. I think it's really amazing what you can do with such a small amount of ingredients, and if you don't include the salt, pepper, and water then in all honesty this is a seven ingredient dish!
Make a whole batch, eat half and freeze the rest - the perfect way to enjoy this dish again down the road. 

Stay tuned for tomorrow's pre-cook post, but in the meantime - Tell me, has anyone else ever made their own homemade pasta? Any tips or tricks you'd like to share?



No comments:

Post a Comment