Friday, October 10, 2014

Pennsylvanian Beef Pot Pie

Now I know I said this wouldn't be your traditional pot pie! Most of us think of the pastry covered chicken pot pies, or pork pies. This however is how the Pennsylvanian Amish did their pot pie. 

Pennsylvanian Beef Pot Pie



  • Hamburger (1 Pound, Made Into Small Meatballs)
  • Onion (1/2, Chopped)
  • Celery (1 Stalk, Chopped)
  • Carrot (Chopped)
  • Potatoes (2, Chopped)
  • Butter (1 Tablespoon)
  • Garlic Powder (1 Teaspoon)
  • Water (3 Cups)
  • Chicken or Beef Bouillon Cubes (3 of them)
  • Egg Noodles (2 Cups)

Instructions


  • Bake Meatballs at 450 degrees Fahrenheit till 90% cooked in the middle. (Approximately 10 Minutes)
  • In the meantime sauté the Carrots, Celery, Onion, and Potatoes with the Butter in a large saucepan for around 5 minutes.
  • Add in the Water, Bouillon Cubes, and Garlic Powder and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce to a simmer. 
  • Remove the Meatballs from the oven and add to the stew. 
  • Add the Eggs Noodles last and let soak up most of the broth. 
  • Plate and enjoy!
The Heart Was Coincidental!

It's definitely more remnant of a stew than what we would truly think of as a pot pie, however i immensely enjoyed this because it was different. In addition to that I got to use up all of the stuff I had in my fridge hat was about to go bad. (You know how I love not wasting stuff!)
I think it definitely would've been fun to use homemade noodles, however when I finally was able to start cooking this dish tonight it was already 6:30PM and to be frank I just didn't have it in me. (Especially when egg noodles were in my cabinet.)

I think what I'm noticing most about the Pennsylvanian food that I've been cooking is the whole "waste not" mentality behind it. I mean the Amish are more or less self sustainers, and compared to when I was cooking my indian and french food - most of the ingredients for my dishes from The Clearing have all been things readily grown in the area. Heck most of it we grow here in Maine! I love that the most because I want to be more self sufficient in regards to my food, and I believe that it's entirely feasible even with 0.10 of an acre of land! (You know if you're really, really trying.)

I hope you all tune in tomorrow for my next pre-cook post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment