Thursday, October 9, 2014

Tomorrow I'm Making the Pennsylvanian Version of Pot Pie

Hey everyone, today's an actual early post! (Shocking I know!)

I actually finished a lot of my household chores a little early today, and therefore got the chance to hit up my computer before 7 for once!
I will say though that sometimes it's so funny raking leaves in the backyard, once I get one pile the wind blows as many leaves down as I just raked up. Point being I gave that chore up as something Ricky and I will deal with once at least 50% of the leaves are down. As gorgeous as the trees are surrounding our yard, I will say ouch for us on the amount of leaves we'll be raking… (We have three trees at least 50+ years old.)

I am now 75% of the way through The Clearing, and I'm not entirely decided on what I'm reading next -  all I know is that I'll be reading some sort of murder-mystery novel. I'm tempted right now by two very different ones. (I won't mention them yet.) If anyone has some great suggestions for me to read, or would like to recommend a book I'd appreciate it! Just send me an email or leave a comment!

Moving on to the rest of this post though, because after all it does have a point (it's not just about my house chores). I want to mention how I'll be making a pot pie tomorrow for The Clearing. I'm going to first give you an excerpt as to why I chose to make a Pennsylvanian Pot Pie.

"Frank looked at each man, examining their expressions and judging their fear. It was a Friday morning, and the posse was meeting at his office to work out their strategy for the following night. … … The rest held expressions showing everything from resignation to relief." (Rydder 156-157).

I'm not sure why I chose specifically a Pennsylvanian Pot Pie for this excerpt, but I think a lot of it has to do with the good ol' community feeling that a lot of small towns have when they get together and have the traditional baked bean suppers at churches. (Or at least that's what they do here in Maine.)
In addition to that Maine also has a very strong hunting tradition. Annually we hold every year (in some towns) an Opening Day Breakfast for Hunter's.
Since the men following Sheriff Cutlip are going hunting I kind of pictured an idyllic meal that would be found (at least in Pennsylvania) in some of those types of events. Granted hunting werewolves doesn't bring about the same camaraderie - but it's something right?

So tune back in tomorrow for a Pennsylvanian Pot Pie, which you shouldn't think is going to be like the ones with the pastry crusts on top, I assure you it's entirely different. So just tune back in tomorrow to see what makes a Pennsylvanian Pot Pie not quite like the ones we automatically think of!

No comments:

Post a Comment