Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sauerbraten (Sour Roast)

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words, and I will say there's nothing better than some nicely cut meat to make one's mouth water. Unless you're a vegetarian - then you're shit out of luck on this meal. (Sorry about that!)

I bought the lovely piece of beef you see there on the right from the local supermarket here in Old Orchard Beach, and I love when I get the fresh cuts!


Sauerbraten (Sour Roast)

  • Chuck Roast Meat (2 to 3 Pounds)
  • Sweet Potato (1 Large One, Sliced Thinly)
  • Green Pepper (1/2, Chopped)
  • Red Onion (1/2, Quartered)
  • Carrot (1, Chopped)
  • Red Cabbage (Wedged)
  • Garlic (2 Cloves, Sliced in Thirds)
  • White Balsamic Vinegar (2 1/2 Cups)
  • Water (2 Cups)
  • Salt (To Taste)
  • Pepper (To Taste)

Instructions

  • Pour the Water into the crock-pot first, and add in all of the ingredients except for the Red Cabbage. Cook on low for 8 hours.
  • During the last half hour, place the wedges of Red Cabbage into the crock pot, and cook for another 30 minutes.
  • Plate and Enjoy!

This was (to be honest) really good! I've never had German food, and I've never really been a fan of cabbage - but it all works so well together! After having it with the white balsamic vinegar, I want to say you really cannot use another type of vinegar - it just won't work… I think a wine vinegar would work, but at least with the balsamic it has that undertone of sweet to it. Anything more sour and this dish would've went from good and well flavored to disgusting. 
I think the deciding factor is that my dad liked it - hell he usually hates sour food and cabbage! That's the stuff that tells me if he likes it or not - or he's just being nice. (Thanks Papa!)

I'm not sure if my sister's had this yet in Germany, but I'd love to find out and see if it's similar!

I'm finished with The Clearing, and I'll be seeing ya'll tomorrow for my book review!

No comments:

Post a Comment