Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Springerle

I had an amazing little Columbus Day trip, and I really hope a lot of you got to enjoy the wonderful weekend. I know there are some of you out there that unfortunately had some bad weather out there in your forecasts, but it'll soon be over!

Ricky and I did a mini Tour De Maine from Old Orchard Beach to Bar Harbor, to Augusta our State Capitol - and it was beautiful out. We weren't feeling like making a large dinner, and therefore we decided yesterday the best thing to make would be a very small batch of biscuit-cookies. That's when I came up with the idea of some Springerle. These are actually more of a German biscuit than a cookie, however they do have more of a sweet flavor, and are something that would go well with a coffee.
Some of you may wonder why I chose a German biscuit, however Springerle is something that is popular in Pennsylvania as well because of their original Germanic descent. (Remember they changed deutsch to Dutch!)
I will point out that I didn't make the Springerle's to look anything like the real things, unfortunately I just don't have those types of molds to make the biscuit-cookies… I also realized a key error in the way I made them which I'll explain after. (I'm not making myself seem like a great baker I've realized…)

Springerle

  • Egg (1)
  • Sugar (1/2 Cup)
  • Flour (1 Cup)
  • Baking Powder (1/4 Tablespoon)
  • Vanilla or Anise Extract (1/4 Teaspoon)

Instructions

  • In a large bowl, whisk the Egg and Sugar for ten minutes (or until frothy).
  • Add in the Flour, Baking Powder, and Vanilla and mix until the ingredients are all into one dough ball.
  • Preheat oven to 300 Degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Let the dough sit for 15 Minutes covered before you do anything*.
  • Lightly flour your work surface and roll the dough out into a thin sheet. Press out small cookies and put on a well greased cookie sheet.**
  • Plate and Enjoy!
*Traditionally you let the dough sit for one full hour or even a day. 
**I had a hard time rolling the dough, gave up, and just did small tablespoon sized drops onto the cookie sheet.


These may not look so pretty but they are actually quite delicious. Ricky also thought these would be great dipped in a very light frosting or glaze, maybe something I can do for a Christmas gift pack?

Anyway, I'm going to go and eat a late dinner! (Now that I've had dessert first!)

Catch back up with you all on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment