Monday, September 8, 2014

Tomorrow is Apricot Almond Pastry Day!!

Wanna know a secret? I've never (not even once) baked a pastry! I've baked cakes, muffins, bread, and cookies - just not pastries. I've no idea why, there are so many really nice pastries out there. Therefore I jumped at the first opportunity to make the Apricot Almond Pastries that Madame Mallory bakes Hassan.
I'm not going to completely elaborate, but I will say this is the very first thing Madame Mallory does to right things with the Hassan's family. I found that these simple pastries opened up the door for an important eye-opening revelation for Madame Mallory. In doing this it has thus far changed the momentum of the book - granted it will never truly fix her mistakes in the first sections, but it is a start.

I don't really have a recipe for the pastries I'm making tomorrow, I have a general idea so I guess we'll all be in the same boat when I make them tomorrow.
I'm excited to bake for a while tomorrow because it has finally cooled down here in Maine, and compared to the heat we had just a few days ago it's almost freezing. I also believe firmly that I'm just a pansy when it comes to seasonal changes in temperature… I do know though that yesterday evening Ricky and I caved in and placed our feather down duvet on our bed. Yep, it's only September - I value comfort however over "seasonal" norms.
A nice hot stove baking away tomorrow though, sounds infinitely nice…

No comments:

Post a Comment