Thursday, September 25, 2014

Book Intro: The Clearing, by Thomas Rydder

I told all of you that after reading The Hundred-Foot Journey by Richard Morais that I needed a break. No not a break from reading, I could never do that, but I needed a break from just regular fiction. I needed something different. I probably spent about the last two weeks browsing for a new book that would be unique, and different from what I normally read but still had some fantasy thrown in the mix. It turns out that the book I chose was also going to be great for an October read, a fantasy thriller featuring werewolves? Can you say hello Halloween!? 
That's precisely the book I've chosen for the next month, and I can't wait to read it. It's called The Clearing by Thomas Rydder. It's been given great reviews, and some other readers have mentioned his book is reminiscent of a Stephen King novel.

I have no idea what I'll be cooking up for next month, but I know it's going to be a lot more work for me than The Hundred-Foot Journey was. I think I'm up for the challenge though. It will also give me a chance to take this book and put my own twist on passages in the form of food. (Not to mention I'll be cooking lots of Pennsylvanian Dutch!)

Without further ado, I'm going to include an excerpt from Amazon for the book, as well as a the awesome cover art.

The Clearing

By

Thomas Rydder

After twenty years in the Marine Corps, Major Frank Cutlip comes home to the quiet hills of his beloved Pennslyvania to take up a new life as the sheriff of Allegheny County.
Professor Beth Lowe took up a post at Paxton University because she became enamored with western Pennslyvania's charms, a more enduring love than she thought she would ever feel for a man.
When Beth's dog is savaged by wolves, their peaceful lives are shattered, and their fates entwined. On the brink of death, the dog not only survives but grows larger… and more vicious. A thousand-year cycle of carnage is reaching its climax once more, and the peaceful wooded hills will soon be smeared with blood.
Sheriff Cutlip leads his community in a hunt for the hidden terror, but then his own brother is bitten, his blood corrupted by the ancient evil. The sheriff must confront terrible choices, and he can't do so alone.
'The Clearing' - a novel of ordinary people thrown together in extraordinary circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment