Thursday, September 18, 2014

A Cornish Hen Tomorrow - Merci!

For the love of God, am I glad I finished The Hundred-Foot Journey today… I've already begun typing up my review of the book, which I shall be posting Wednesday of next week. (You'll get to hear my sarcastic rating!)
Since we aren't yet there for this review, then I would like to move on to what my next dish is - a Cornish Hen for Friday's dinner. 

"Paul's Partridge in Mourning, as I named the dish, was the highlight of the evening, as the papers reported the following day. Up until that point, I was, I must confess, trying to hide my terror of performing before such a demanding audience, but the generous comments I received from my table suggested that my risky menu had paid off. In particular, I took great joy in seeing Le Comte de Nancy - who always called things as he saw them, was in fact capable of an insincere remark - tearing a bread roll apart with great gusto before lunging in to mop up the last smears of juice." (Morais 211-212).

I know - I'm not cooking a partridge… (You try finding one at a regular grocery store.) The recipe that Hassan made is actually based off a hen dish - he substituted partridge instead, thus I shall substitute back to hen. (It all comes full circle anyway.) 
I've actually made a cornish hen before, and I do love how it's a perfect meal for two people. Half a hen each, and there's really no difficulty determining how to do a "serving" size. I have the worst time shrinking recipes down for two people, and because of that I tend to waste food sometimes. (At least it makes great compost!)
So tune on in tomorrow evening for Cornish Hen! I'm personally excited to make Cornish Hen again, I love baking dishes in my oven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment