Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Mushroom Risotto

I have now made Risotto twice in my life, the first time was bland, boring and cheaply done. (I.E. I was lazy) This time though I swear it's been one of the better meals I've made. (Withstanding my Shepard's Pie recipe.) This was also a nice meal to cook because it allows you to work on everything at once without having to truly prep everything in a timely manner. This Italian dish was also a nice little break from some Indian food for a bit, which is nice because after a bit my taste buds almost become immune to chili pepper. (I swear I could've added 5 Tablespoons to my Hassan's Dry Chicken dish). Therefore Mushroom Risotto equals a nice change.

Mushroom Risotto

Main

  • Arborio Rice (1 Cup)
  • Mushrooms - Preferably Porcini (16 Ounces - Thinly Diced)

Saute and Stock

  • Water - Boiling (2 1/2 Cups)
  • Chicken Stock (3 Cups)
  • Dry White Wine (1/4 Cup)
  • Butter (2 Tablespoons)
  • Olive Oil (1/4 Cup)
  • Shallot (Minced)
  • Garlic Clove (Minced)
  • Bay Leaf (1/2 Teaspoon)
  • Parmesan Cheese (1 Cup - Freshly Grated)
  • Salt (To Taste)
  • Pepper (To Taste)

Instructions

  • Place 1/2 cup of Mushrooms into a heat-proof bowl and pour the boiling water over them. Allow the mushrooms to steep for 10-15 minutes. 
  • Drain the Mushrooms, keeping 1 Cup of this "Mushroom Tea". Set the mushrooms aside.
  • Mix together the Chicken Stock and "Mushroom Tea", seasoning lightly with salt and pepper. Keep this set aside on a very low simmer.
  • In the meantime heat 1 Tablespoon of Butter in a large saucepan, sauté the shallot and garlic till softened.
  • Add the Arborio Rice, and the Mushrooms that we had set aside and coat with the Butter. (Add a little more if needed). 
  • Add the Wine and Bay Leaf until the Arborio Rice takes in most of the liquid. Add 1/4 of the Chicken Stock and "Mushroom Tea" blend to the rice. 
  • Continue adding the Chicken Stock and "Mushroom Tea" blend until the Risotto is now suspended in a creamy sauce.
  • Blend together the Parmesan Cheese, and remaining Butter. Simmer for no more than another 10 minutes as you cook the mushrooms separately.
  • In a large frying pan, heat the Olive Oil and add in the Mushrooms. Continue cooking the Mushrooms - it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.
  • Plate and Enjoy!

Did I mention how much I friggin' love Risotto? I mean, I could eat Risotto every single day and never get bored. (Same with Gnocchi.) There's just so much you can do with a simple rice dish!
I may not have used Porcini mushrooms in this recipe, but it's not for a lack of trying. I must've looked in the mushroom section for 10 minutes trying to find the damn things, so instead I settled for a "Medley Pack" of mushrooms, and my Mom gave me portobello mushrooms that they weren't going to use in time. I'm not gonna lie, I still very much dislike mushrooms, and for me it's more just a personal thing. I did try a bite of the mushrooms on top and they came out well. I think the proof is in the pudding though when Ricky comes home and in five minutes eats two portions of this dish. If you're not a fan of mushrooms (like me) just remove the mushrooms from the equation and sub in one more cup of chicken stock!

I think it'd be cool to experience the Porcini Mushroom Festival they celebrated in The Hundred-Foot Journey in Tuscany. I may not like mushrooms but I can still enjoy food festivals… 

Tomorrow I'm taking a blogging break so that I can read some more in this novel, and to be able to come up with some more recipes for the cooking. You guys should all start thinking of a book you might like me to cook for, or even just review for you! After tomorrow I'll be fifty percent through The Hundred-Foot Journey which means in three more weeks I'll be writing a review and on to a new one!
Leave a comment or email me for any books you may be interested in!

No comments:

Post a Comment