Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Coconut Ladoo - The Ending Note to The Hundred-Foot Journey

I'm posting this today along with my review for The Hundred-Foot Journey by Richard Morais.

I told myself that I was going to finish every single book I've read with a little dessert in order to finalize everything on a good note. (Even if the book was dreadful.)

I found it hard to truly come up with something for this book as a dessert, and it has nothing to do with lack of recipes. It was more or less just what I thought summed up the book best. I wasn't sure if it would be a French dessert or an Indian dessert. As such, it turned out for me the ending of the book, how Hassan felt, and some of the other factors towards the end - that an Indian dessert was more suitable.
This Cocount Ladoo was something I thought went deliciously with a handcrafted tea made for me by my friend Sarah from Homegrown Herb and Tea in Portland, Maine.

She blended me a special Indian-French Tea (heavy Indian influence) that was so heavenly. Three other individuals ended up getting the same thing!

Masala Pomme Chai Tea
Made in Maine
by Homegrown Herb and Tea

I think that this was a great finish, and certainly the sweetness of this treat will help resolve any of the bitter feelings that The Hundred-Foot Journey may have left on the tip of my tongue. So without further ado I'll be giving you guys the recipe for this sweet little treat!

Coconut Ladoo

Main:

  • Sweetened Condensed Milk (1 Cup)
  • Shredded Coconut (1 Cup)
  • Almonds (12, Chopped)
  • Butter (1 Teaspoon)

Instructions

  • Heat the Butter in a small frying pan, and toast the Almonds.
  • Once the Almonds are toasted, set aside and add the Sweetened Condensed Milk ad Coconut.
  • Mix well and cook on low until the mixture becomes sticky and resistant to stirring. (Approximately 10 minutes.)
  • Turn off the burner, and add back in the Almonds mixing well.
  • Roll the mixture once it's cool enough into small balls, then take the Ladoos and roll into some extra Shredded Coconut.
  • Plate and Enjoy!


These little treats were simple to make, delicious, and perfect for just Ricky and myself to consume as a little snack. I thought it paired well with a rich Masala Pomme Chai Tea, and it took very little effort. (Such a bonus!)



Since I've made dessert to help stymy off the negative vibes I've got from the book, tell me: What is your go to dessert to make you feel better after a wasted effort on something dismal?

No comments:

Post a Comment