Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Spicy Beef Stew

Let me just say, nothing beats coming home to a crock pot meal. Especially when it makes your whole house smell delicious!

I will say my stew came out a little more thin than a thicker sauce like I wanted - so bear that in mind when making this. (Maybe you can remedy the problem!)

Spicy Beef Stew

Main:

  • Beef (1 Pound, Cut into Chunks)
  • Water (5 Cups)
  • Garam Masala (2 Tablespoons)
  • Chili Powder (1 Tablespoon)
  • Garlic (3 Cloves, Minced)
  • Ginger (1/2 Tablespoon, Minced)
  • Apple Hardwood Smoked Bacon (1 Piece)
  • Onion (1/2, Cubed)
  • Green Pepper (Deseeded, Cut into Chunks)

Instructions

  • Place all of the ingredients in the crock pot. Set it on High, and leave it be for around 5 hours, or until the meat is cooked. 
  • Remove the Bacon. (It was only for flavoring.)
  • Dish it up and enjoy it!*

*If you want a thicker broth, try using the flour method. (I didn't have enough patience with mine and it didn't thicken up…)



I liked the level of spice in this stew. I had my parents over to be the first taste testers on this recipe (thanks you guys!) My mom thought it didn't have enough salt, and it wasn't thick enough. I stand by the thickness of the stew as well, but I preferred this without salt as it brings out the flavor of the cinnamon from the Garam Masala spices. 
Either way, to set something like this up on a cool fall morning, and to come back home to this is delicious. 

There are plenty of variations of an Indian Spicy Beef Stew. I made my own version, but I know there are others. I personally wouldn't mind trying a Nihari version. It's a Muslim Indian Beef Stew, and I know that in The Hundred-Foot Journey this is probably the version that Hassan's sister made. (But I really wanted to put Bacon in mine…)

If any of you try making the Nihari Beef Stew let me see your pictures, and I want to know what you thought of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment