Sunday, November 30, 2014

Sauce Patate - A New Orleans Potato Stew

I had no idea how much I was going to be using my homemade Creole Seasoning when I started cooking for Midnight Bayou. Needless to say it's a great thing I made it when I did because most of the recipes I've been making are now requiring the seasoning, or I just want to experiment with it.
I like how thus far in Midnight Bayou the main character Declan Fitzgerald has been a neighborly gentleman - albeit a little flirtatious to say the least. One of his older neighbors at one point promised to make this dish for him, and while that hasn't happened yet I decided to take it upon myself to make it for my "Declan". 


Sauce Patate - New Orleans Potato Stew

  • Butter (1/2 Cup)
  • Flour (2/3 Cups)
  • Onion (Finely Chopped)
  • Green Pepper (Finely Chopped)
  • Garlic (3 Cloves, Finely Chopped)
  • Water (2 1/2 Cups, More If Needed)
  • Potatoes (Peeled, and Chopped)
  • Green Onions (1 Bunch, Finely Chopped)
  • Creole Seasoning (2 Tablespoons)
  • Salt (To Taste)
  • Rice (2 Cups, Cooked)

Instructions

  • Make a roux by melting the Butter in a large saucepan. Add in the Flour and cook until it makes a nice thick creamy sauce. 
  • Add in the Onion, Green Pepper, and Garlic sautéing for 5 minutes.
  • Add in the Potatoes, Water, Creole Seasoning, and Salt - cook this on a simmer for around 30 minutes or until the Potatoes are finished.
  • Add in the Green Onions and let simmer in the stew for around 5 minutes.
  • Plate some Rice, pour the sauce patate over and enjoy!

I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this stew… It has just the right amount of spice to it without overpowering any of the other ingredients. It really warms you up on a cold evening - especially lately as it gets colder here in Maine. It also has a wonderful creamy texture to it, which makes it a nice thick stew (almost gravy like). 
Traditionally there is a meat that goes with this such as shrimp, however I really didn't want to add shrimp because I'm not a fan. Ricky also wanted to try it without shrimp because he wanted to pour this over his leftover Thanksgiving Turkey.

Anyway - Sunday Night Football is coming up with the Broncos and Chiefs, so I'm signing off. See you all again on Tuesday! Happy cooking!

3 comments:

  1. The sauce patate I grew up with contained smoked pork sausage also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty funny to find this post! I just finished the book mentioned here, 'Midnight Bayou' by Nora Roberts (for about my 4th time!) and finally decided to look up Sauce Patate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mit der Mehlschwitze habe ich ein Problem! Diese Menge Mehl, in der Butter verrührt, ergibt keine cremige Sauce sondern einen dicken festen Klumpen. Darin noch Zwiebel und Paprika zu rösten, gelang mir leider nicht. Vielleicht kann mir da jemand einen Tipp geben, wie das ganze funktionieren könnte! Vielen Dank im voraus!

    ReplyDelete