Sunday, November 23, 2014

Louisiana Swamp Chili

I don't know what makes this dish classify as a swamp chili, but I decided to give it a try - and boy am I happy I did!
This chili is deceptive - just like the way Nora Roberts first describes the bayou. It starts out tasting sweet, but then the spice rolls off your tongue on the back half. Not to mention I just love chili and I've never tried it this way before.

So if you want to try a different chili - but still not take too much risk, then give this Louisiana Swamp Chili a try!


Louisiana Swamp Chili


  • Hamburger (1 Pound)
  • Butter (2 Tablespoons)
  • Green Pepper (1, Chopped)
  • Red Onion (1, Chopped)
  • Celery (3 Stalks, Finely Chopped)
  • Green Onions (1 Cup, Chopped)
  • Jalapeño (1, Deseeded and Chopped)
  • Tomato Paste (8 Ounce Can)
  • Corn (1 Cup)
  • Black Beans (1 Cup)
  • Water (2 Cups - More if Needed)
  • Worcestershire Sauce (1/8 Cup)
  • Frank's Red Hot Sauce (2 Tablespoons)
  • Grape or Berry Preserves (2 Tablespoons)
  • Chili Powder (2 Tablespoons)
  • Cayenne Pepper (1 Tablespoon)
  • Cumin (1 Tablespoon)
  • Black Pepper (1/2 Tablespoon)

Instructions

  • In a large skillet brown the Hamburger, and drain the grease.
  • In a large saucepan take the Butter, Green Pepper, Red Onion, Celery, Green Onions, and Jalapeño, and sauté for around 10 minutes.
  • Add in the Hamburger, and remaining ingredients and simmer for 2 hours.
  • Plate and Enjoy!

This dish was really fun to make (except when the onions made my eyes burn)! I really enjoy dishes where I can leave the stove to multi-task. In the time in which I was just letting this dish simmer I was being a little homemaker. I made these! 

Peanut Butter and Bird Seed Feeder

Needless to say my family is going to eat well, and so are my backyard critters! 
Stay tuned for Tuesday's cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment