Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Jambalaya

I'm just going to start calling Creole Seasoning my ol' faithful sidekick by now… I've used it again for tonight's meal, and oh man did it really make a difference. I decided on making a tried and true Jambalaya for Midnight Bayou in honor of Declan Fitzgerald finally starting to enjoy more meals in New Orleans - not to mention he finally completed his kitchen addition in Manet Manor. Nothing says a full kitchen renovation than actually enjoying a full cooked meal in it. So therefore I made a meal that should've been Declan's first in the book.



Jambalaya

  • Large Shrimp (6, Peeled, Deveined, and Chopped)
  • Steak (4 Ounces, Chopped)
  • Sausage (4 Ounces, Chopped)
  • Creole Seasoning (1 Tablespoon)
  • Butter (3 Tablespoons)
  • Small Onion (Chopped)
  • Green Pepper (Chopped)
  • Celery (Chopped)
  • Garlic (3 Cloves, Minced)
  • Tomato (Large One, Chopped)
  • Green Onions (Bunch, Chopped)
  • Worcestershire Sauce (1 Tablespoon)
  • Hot Sauce (1 Tablespoon)
  • Chicken Stock (2 Cups)
  • Rice (1 Cup)

Instructions

  • In a medium sized skillet, cook together the Shrimp, Steak, Sausage, and Creole Seasoning. Don't cook everything all the way through as you'll be adding it back into the rest of dish as it's cooking.
  • In a medium saucepan, melt the Butter and sauté the Onion, Green Pepper, Celery, and Garlic until translucent.
  • Add in the Tomato, Worcestershire Sauce, Hot Sauce, Chicken Stock, Green Onions and Rice. Simmer this for 15 minutes.
  • Add in the Shrimp, Steak, and Sausage mix that you had finished earlier, and mix into the sauce pan. Cook this for another 5 minutes or until the meat is finished cooking.
  • Plate and Enjoy!

This has by far been my favorite dish thus far from the New Orleans style of cooking, I'm not particularly sure why. I think it's because it just seems so vibrant, and everything complements each other very well in the dish. I know I personally love what the Holy Trinity (Green Pepper, Green Onion, Celery) has done for all of these dishes, and that is bring everything together.

I know they sell Jambalaya rice mix in a box from a grocery store, and I've had it before (we all know we have). I can't believe they pull that off as Jambalaya… I suggest giving this dish a try, and the best thing about it - a meal in 30 minutes.

Come see my next post on Friday! I may stop in again for Thursday to pose a question, not sure yet though! Toodles!


No comments:

Post a Comment