Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Book Review of And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie

I finished And Then There Were None, and I can't believe I used to shun murder mystery books before… Honestly I feel like I was missing out because my mom used to read so many Agatha Christie books in summer when we were camping and the sort. I used to make my poor grandmother bring me to the library every week to check out five books. (Oh yes I'd read all five!) Had I known I would've ventured into my mother's book shelves more often and discovered more authors that I could read. Needless to say I'm sure you can tell that I really loved And Then There Were None - but if you want read my full book review!


And Then There Were None
By
Agatha Christie
         I’ve never read an Agatha Christie novel before, and I’ve never read a murder mystery book either. Needless to say I couldn’t have been happier than when I chose to read this novel by Christie before any other of the same genre. Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None is a story in which ten individuals are brought to Soldier Island off the coast of Devon, England. One by one those same individuals are being murdered - and one of which is the killer themselves. Christie follows the viewpoint of each individual throughout the book, therefore as a reader you get to view it from different perspectives. 
I would love to mention the most prominent characters, but I don’t want to give away to much information - after all there’s ten characters and one is a killer. I do want to say though that Christie did an amazing job swapping from one person’s viewpoint to another. The different viewpoints were all distinct, and never forced. As a reader I got a distinct impression of the characters and felt that I was getting to know them in the way that Christie introduced them throughout the book. I will say that none of the characters seemed forced or faked - and that is something I will always appreciate. 
I find that Agatha Christie did an amazing job in writing And Then There Were None, there really wasn’t much in the way I can critique this work. And Then There Were None led me to believe one thing, only to leave me guessing until the very end. In one sense I guess the second to last chapter would be my only gripe about her work, and it was only because the dialogue seemed forced as opposed to realistic. However one small chapter doesn’t diminish the whole of a book - especially one in which it was strong throughout. 
In the end I loved this book, and I can’t wait to indulge in another Agatha Christie novel down the road. I will say that this book will shock you with the ending, and you’ll actually sift through the whole thing over again trying to pick up on something that could have clued you in from the get go. I guess for anyone looking to try a new genre like this, then there’s a good chance this should be the book you start with.  
My rating: 4.75 out of 5 Stars. 
I really liked this book, it reminded me of the board game/movie Clue. (Although not remotely humorous.) I think this is a great book to start with for those of you who have never read a murder mystery book - because it's very easy and straightforward. Yet And Then There Were None isn't so easy and straightforward that it becomes boring. It's a book that makes you want to keep reading to find out the big answer of -whodunit!?

I hope to catch you all tomorrow as I introduce my next book! It's gonna be takin' place somewhere in the South ya'll - I want me some spicy food!

No comments:

Post a Comment