Sunday, December 14, 2014

Bacon and Onion Rolls

I couldn't wait to try making this type of recipe - one thing I have always loved about fantasy books are the days of travel. I have not been disappointed. In Daggerspell Jill has been reunited with her father Cullyn, most of their days have been spent on the road traveling. A large part of travel in such times by horseback would've never allowed individuals to carry much in the way of food. Most of the individuals make do with bread, hard cheese, and jerky. I didn't want to just plate some bread and cheese - but I made my own take of a food built for travel. Therefore I decided to make these Bacon and Onion Rolls - it's a perfect modern version of what could be eaten on the fly. I hope you like it!

Bacon and Onion Rolls

Dough

  • Yeast (1 Teaspoon)
  • All-Purpose Flour (2 Cups)
  • Butter (2 Tablespoons, Melted)
  • Warm Water (1/8 Cup)
  • Milk (1/2 Cup)
  • Egg (1)
  • Sugar (2 Teaspoons)
  • Salt (1 1/2 Teaspoons)

Filling

  • Bacon (1/2 Pound)
  • Onion (1, Finely Chopped)
  • Egg (1, Just the Whites)

Instructions

  • In a small bowl mix together the Yeast and Warm Water, let this stand for 10 minutes or until activated.
  • Meanwhile mix together the remaining dry ingredients from the dough set. Add in the Yeast mix once it's been 10 minutes, and mix in the remaining wet ingredients from the dough set.
  • Grease a medium sized bowl and put the mixed Dough into it. Cover with saran wrap and let sit for 30 minutes. 
  • Cook the Bacon in a large skillet, and put aside. In the same pan sauté the Onion until translucent. Set aside.
  • Once the Bacon has cooled, crumble, and mix in with the Onions. Add the Egg Whites, and blend well. Set aside.
  • Take the Dough and roll out onto a floured surface into a 9 inch by 6 inch rectangle. Spread the filling over the dough - leaving an inch around the edges. Slowly roll into a log shape, and cut out inch sized rolls. 
  • Place into a greased pan, this recipe should yield nine rolls. (Trim any excess dough out.)
  • Let sit for a half hour - this enable the rolls to raise a little more, and preheat the oven to 375 Degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Bake for 40 - 60 minutes covered in tin foil. 
  • Plate and Enjoy! 
Fresh out of the oven!

Heavenly Paired with Marinara

Sorry this was posted so late, once I got wrapped up into these rolls, I wasn't aware how much time it was actually going to take to make. I honestly wasn't really planning well for this evenings time constraints! I'm glad I waited and still made these though - because they are absolutely scrumptious! They're a perfect savory treat - and they kind of remind me of Cinnamon Rolls - just not sweet!

I have something fun I've been wanting to make for Tuesday, and it's kind of tied to the traveling aspect again of Daggerspell right now. So I hope you all join me for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment