Saturday, December 13, 2014

Simple Beef Stew

I originally was going to cook this stew yesterday, until our Christmas Party went from ending at 7:00pm to 2:00am… Needless to say I was in no means capable of cooking anything, let alone even a simple beef stew.
It's actually ironic because this stew is inspired by the tavern that Jill grew up in from Daggerspell - who knew I would've been too inebriated to cook it on Friday. Whoops!
Therefore I'm making it for this Saturday instead of yesterday like I was supposed to!

Simple Beef Stew

  • Vegetable Oil (2 Tablespoons)
  • Stew Beef (1 1/2 Pounds)
  • Carrots (3, Finely Chopped)
  • Celery Stalks (3, Chopped)
  • Medium Onion (1, Sliced)
  • Garlic Clove (1, Peeled)
  • Water (1 1/2 Cups, and then 1/4 Cup Reserved)
  • Worcestershire Sauce (1 Tablespoon)
  • Bay Leaves (1 Tablespoon)
  • Salt (1 Teaspoon)
  • Pepper (1 Teaspoon)
  • Paprika (1/2 Teaspoon)
  • Cloves (2)
  • Corn Starch (2 Tablespoons)

Instructions

  • In a large sauce pan heat the Vegetable Oil, and brown the Beef on all sides.
  • Add in 1 1/2 Cups Water, Garlic, Onions, Worcestershire Sauce, Bay Leaves, Salt, Pepper, Paprika, and Cloves.
  • Simmer this mix for approximately one hour. Remove the Cloves, and throw out. 
  • Add in the Carrots, and Celery. Cook for another 30 minutes.
  • Take out around one cup of broth and set aside. In the meantime mix together the Corn Starch and 1/4 Cup Water that we had reserved, mix in the hot broth - stirring well.
  • Pout this mix back into the stew, and bring to a boil.
  • Plate and Enjoy!


This soup was reminiscent of something you could order at a local tavern, and I think between myself and Ricky we could've eaten three bowls in one sitting. Less really is more, and I think my favorite recipes have always been the ones where there are fewer ingredients. 
Does anyone want to tell me their favorite soup or stew that they've enjoyed at a local bar? I know my mom would always say a French Onion soup, and I know I'd always choose a Corn Chowder. (Yum yum!)

Tomorrow I'll be back with another recipe from Daggerspell!

No comments:

Post a Comment