Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Maple Smoked Cheese Grits

This is the last meal from Midnight Bayou that I'm making, sorry it wasn't a spectalar meal ending! I really wanted to give it a try though as it was the one thing that Declan Fitzgerald never liked even after becoming a true New Orleans man. Needless to say as this was the last meal I'm cooking for this book, I had to at least give this one meal a shot.
To be honest even I'm not sure how I feel about these Grits… Ricky liked them and he ate his whole share and then some. I usually trust his judgement on how something tastes - because the whole journey of this blog is to not repeat my Peanut Butter Chicken fiasco where Ricky told me just how bad my cooking was… (I shudder thinking of that recipe…) I really want you guys to at least give this recipe a shot - you may like grits or you may not. It could just be an acquired taste… 

Maple Smoked Cheese Grits

  • Water (2 Cups)
  • Grits (1/2 Cup)
  • Maple Smoked Cheese (1 Cup)
  • Garlic (1 Tablespoon)
  • Cayenne Pepper (1/2 Teaspoon)
  • Salt (To Taste)

Instructions

  • In a small saucepan bring the Water to a boil. Add in the Grits and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for around 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
  • Add the remaining ingredients and let simmer for 5 more minutes.
  • Plate and Enjoy!

I'd be lying if I said I could explain this dish well… I really can't, I've never been a fan of certain textures in food - and grits ironically are that texture. I can say that the Maple Smoked Cheese shined through and added a nice flavor to these Grits. I wish I could like them more but I can't… The bonus is that I finally can say that I tried these in my life, and needless to say Ricky did eat them and enjoy them as he used to have Grits as a child. (He used to live in the South after all.) Maybe I'm just too much of a Northern girl to like such an interesting food like Grits - but to those that want to try these out, or those who like Grits in general - heck give it a try! The worst that happens is you may not like it, but sometimes trying new things can be a fun experience.

Tomorrow is my book review, and I hope ya'll will stop back for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment