Friday, December 26, 2014

Hearty Ham Casserole

What do you do with a hunk of leftover ham? Put it in a hearty, cheesy, and delicious casserole! The best part of this was being able to cook with my best friend Erica! Normally I only am cooking for myself and Ricky, so it's always nice to have someone else over for my Cook and Books recipes. (Not to mention girl nights no matter how old you are, are simply much needed.)

I think this would've been a simple meal, but a hearty one for only the nobility in Daggerspell but hey, I guess that makes us kings everyday here to be able to eat this. I think it's fitting though having been able to utilize some leftover ham (let us not waste), and other ingredients I had. Except for having to make Erica bring me to go get milk. Ooops!

Hearty Ham Casserole

  • Ham (2 Cups, Finely Diced)
  • Potatoes (2 Cups, Chopped)
  • Corn (1 1/2 Cups)
  • Onion (Finely Chopped)
  • Butter (1/4 Cup)
  • Flour (1/3 Cup)
  • Milk (1 3/4 Cups)
  • Cheddar Cheese (2 Cups)
  • Salt (To Taste)
  • Pepper (To Taste)

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit.
  • In a large pot, boil the Potatoes until cooked, but not too tender. Drain, and put into a bowl.
  • Mix into the bowl the Ham, and Corn. Slightly mash the Potatoes but not so they're completely smooth. (You still want some chunks.) Set aside.
  • In a sauce pan saute together the Onion and Butter. Once the onions have sautéed for approximately 10 minutes you can add in the Flour. Mix together until smooth, and slowly pour in the Milk.
  • Bring that mixture to a slight boil, as it will thicken up slowly - pour into the bowl of set aside Ham, Potato, and Corn mix. Mix together well, and season with Salt and Pepper.
  • Put this mix into a large casserole dish, and bake covered for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and spread the Cheddar Cheese on top, and bake this uncovered for 5 minutes. 
  • Plate and Enjoy!

I know it doesn't look very appetizing, but Erica and I went for seconds. It was a great use of some of my leftover Brown-Sugar Glazed Spiral Ham, and also a way to enjoy some of my casserole dishes that I never get to use. Plus girl nights never involve healthy salads - they involve yummy hearty food!

I just put my oven into self-cleaning mode for the rest of the evening - which means I need to make something awesome to dirty it up again come Sunday! So I hope I'll see ya'll then! 

No comments:

Post a Comment