Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Maple-Brown Sugar Glazed Spiral Ham

My Parent's Kitchen!
Tonight for Christmas Eve-Eve I made a Maple-Brown Sugar Glazed Spiral Ham.
The best part about this was how easy it is to make, and it still tied perfectly into my book Daggerspell. I tried to make the glaze as basic as possible, and I also wanted to use ingredients that would have been privy to that time frame. (Or as close to as possible.)
I know my Aunt said my Mom should have a 'Plan B' for tonights main dish, but I succeeded with cooking my first Ham! So I'll say this - next time you're in town I'm thrown' a lobster bake!


Maple Brown Sugar Spiral Ham


  • Spiral Ham (10 Pounds)*
  • Water (3/4 Cups)
  • Maple Syrup (100% Pure, 1/2 Cup)
  • Brown Sugar (1/2 Cup)
  • Stone Ground Mustard (2 Tablespoons)
  • Nutmeg (1/2 Teaspoon)
  • Cinnamon (1/2 Teaspoon)

*If you don't want to cook a 10 pound ham, just calculate for time - each pound is 15 minutes of cooking time. 

Instructions


  • Preheat oven to 300 Degrees Fahrenheit. 
  • Place Ham into a roasting pan, and pour the Water over the ham. 

  • Cover with tin foil, and place in oven for 1 hour and 40 minutes. 
  • In a small sauce pan mix together the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and turn off the heat.
  • Turn the oven up to 400 Degrees Fahrenheit.

  • Remove the Ham from the oven, remove the foil, and pour the sauce over the Ham. Return to the oven and bake for a remaining 20 minutes. 

  • Plate and Enjoy!



This ham was simply amazing, you could taste the underlying mustard in the glaze which helped off set the sweetness. I doubt that this dish would've been as well put together in medieval fantasy settings, but roast a pig over a spit and drizzle this glaze over it and I guess it would qualify! 

Anyone that still wants to make a delicious and easy Christmas Eve or Christmas Day dinner, then really try out this ham. It goes wonderfully with some sweet potatoes glazed in maple syrup, or even (had we made some) green bean casserole!

I'll see everyone again on Friday after the holidays! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment