Friday, December 19, 2014

Bacon and Vegetable Quinoa Stir Fry

I know many of you may read this just for the recipes, and heck maybe the book Daggerspell by Katharine Kerr isn't really relevant to you. Yet for those of you that also follow why my recipes are related to my books - this one may seem some what of a stretch. After all what does stir fry have to do with medieval times? Yet this was kind of a fun fusion dish, and that's why I used quinoa - an ancient grain.
I have no clue if any of the characters from Daggerspell would've actually eaten this, but I can at least imagine the basic ingredients being used. I especially loved how the mustard plays with this dish - it's something unexpected. (Believe me I didn't originally plan on using mustard!)
So be adventurous like Jill and Cullyn and try a fusion stir fry!

Bacon and Vegetable Quinoa Stir Fry

  • Quinoa (1 Cup)
  • Water (2 Cups)
  • Bacon (1/2 Pound, Cut Into 1 Inch Wide Pieces)
  • Red Pepper (1/2, Diced)
  • Onion (1/2, Diced)
  • Carrots (3, Finely Diced)
  • Summer Squash (1, Chopped)
  • Ginger (1 Tablespoon, Minced)
  • Garlic Powder (1 Teaspoon)
  • Spicy Mustard (1 1/2 Tablespoons)

Instructions

  • In a small pot bring to a boil the Quinoa and 2 Cups Water, reduce heat, and simmer on low covered for 15 minutes.
  • In a wok or large skillet cook the Bacon down. Carefully remove some of the grease, but keep a little to sauté together the remaining ingredients.
  • Once the vegetables have been cooked to al dente add in the Quinoa. Finish the dish by frying together for around 5 minutes - adding a little more water if necessary.
  • Plate and Enjoy!

This was a really yummy, and awesome little surprise of a dish. I loved how well the mustard actually played out with the other ingredients. It worked really well with the bacon too. Let me know how you guys feel about this type of dish, and I can say don't doubt the mustard! Sometimes one of the fun things about cooking round here at my house is realizing it's never going to go as planned. It also tends to happen when you go grocery shopping and just wing it on recipes. I guess that's what makes cooking an adventure - albeit less dangerous than those in Daggerspell!

No comments:

Post a Comment