Monday, January 19, 2015

Chicken Chop Suey

This dish was superbly simple to make, and it really ties in well with the hectic lifestyle of David and Hulan right now in Flower Net. It's a traditional dish, something that would probably be craved for when Hulan has been in the United States after a little while. I know whenever I travel for a bit I start to miss my own cooking - albeit it's randomness. 
It's kind of funny, I've actually been missing some of the "normal" food I make, and I think there will be some California food dishes interspersed with the Chinese soon so that I can have a change of taste. For me the flavors after awhile become too much, and I've never been much of a fan for Chinese food to begin with, however I will say that most are more healthy than other dishes I've made… Moving forward though, I think this would be a perfect sized meal for 2-4 people!

Chicken Chop Suey

  • Chicken Breast, with Bone In
  • Carrot (Finely Chopped)
  • Onion (Finely Chopped)
  • Cabbage (1/2, Finely Chopped)
  • Garlic Cloves (4, Crushed)
  • Ginger (1 Tablespoon, Minced)
  • Vegetable Oil (2 Teaspoons)
  • Soy Sauce (4 Teaspoons, Divided)
  • Corn Starch (2 Tablespoons, Divided)
  • Salt (2 Teaspoons, Divided)
  • Sugar (2 Teaspoons, Divided)
  • Water (1 Cup)
  • Butter (1 Tablespoon)

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 375 Degrees Fahrenheit. 
  • Grease a baking pan, and place the Chicken Breast in it.
  • Meanwhile in a small bowl, mix together the Vegetable Oil, 2 Teaspoons of the Soy Sauce, 1 Teaspoon of Sugar, 1 Teaspoon of Salt, and 1 Tablespoon of the Corn Starch.
  • Gently brush the Chicken Breast with the above mixture, and bake for around 25-35 minutes depending on the thickness of the Chicken Breast.
  • In the meantime, melt the Butter in a large skillet, and sauté together the Onions, Carrots, Ginger, Cabbage, and Garlic until mostly cooked through.
  • Mix another sauce mixture with the Water, 2 Teaspoons Soy Sauce, 1 Tablespoon Corn Starch, 1 Teaspoon Sugar, and 1 Teaspoon Salt.
  • Pour this mixture into the vegetable mix, and simmer until the Chicken Breast is done.
  • Serve with a side of Rice, Plate and Enjoy!

I loved this, it was yummy, and everything worked well together. It must have been Ricky's favorite meal because he ate the whole plate, and then some.

I think the favorite thing about this meal though was it's simplicity. I can't wait to make tomorrow's recipe - which reminds me, sorry for not posting last evening. I was home renovating!
Till tomorrow then!

No comments:

Post a Comment