Sunday, February 15, 2015

Homemade Croutons

Remember that moment in Wizard of Oz where Glinda tells Dorothy that the only way out of Oz is to think, "There's no place like home."
I do, and I'll tell you as of right now I'm thinking - there's no place like Maui, there's no place like Maui, there's no place like Maui… Yet here I am, again with another 10 inches of fresh snow outside, and not one but two 10 foot snowbanks outside of my house.
I'm getting enough cabin fever to make me as hot headed (and sometimes too quick to trot) as Eragon!
Next thing you know I'll be taking a sled off my second story roof thinking it's a good idea. Only I really wouldn't because let's face it - it's too damn cold for that crap! (-10 Degrees Fahrenheit with windchill.)
Instead I hereby take you to my recipe of the evening - croutons. (Sexy I know!)

Homemade Croutons

  • Bread (2 Cups, Cut into 1 Inch Cubes)
  • Butter (1 Tablespoon, Melted - or substitute for Olive Oil is using in salads)
  • Salt (1 Teaspoon)
  • Basil (1 Teaspoon)

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 375 Degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Spread the Bread onto a cookie sheet, and pour the Butter over it. Mix together well.
  • Bake for 5 minutes, and remove from the oven. Season with the Salt and Basil, and mix well.
  • Bake for another 5 minutes.
  • Use for salad, or soup!

I love these so much more than store bought croutons. I happened to use a pumpernickel bread which has so much more flavor than standard bagged croutons. These also paired well with my Butternut Squash and Chickpea Soup that I made Friday evening. 
Croutons, while certainly more of a luxury for Eragon, are something that are generally made out of stale bread. It's also something I can picture being eaten while riding in a saddle (or via dragon back) to give a small burst of energy. It's certainly something that will be needed for the grueling journey across the Hadarac Desert in Eragon. 
I hope to find you all back again come Tuesday, and I plan on cooking something a little different come then!

No comments:

Post a Comment