Friday, February 13, 2015

Butternut Squash and Chick Pea Soup

I'd love to start this post off by first saying the following - another blizzard!? It's even named Neptune! I mean come on already… Us Mainer's have now been consumed with snow for the past two weeks, not even a break really between storm systems. It's making my grocery shopping trips slim, and therefore my meal posts as well. Tonight though I was not going to be defeated! I went grocery shopping, and stocked up for the weekend, this blizzard isn't catching me with my fridge devoid of goods!
I also made lots of this soup because I know I'm going to be snowed in again, and nothing beats being snowed in than a hot bowl of soup. (Except maybe warm weather.)

Butternut Squash and Chick Pea Soup

  • Butternut Squash (Chopped into 1 Inch Pieces)
  • Onions (2, Finely Chopped)
  • Carrots (3, Finely Chopped)
  • Garlic Cloves (8, Minced)
  • Chick Peas (2 - 15 Ounce Cans)
  • Crushed Tomatoes (28 Ounces)
  • Parsley Stems (1/4 Cup, Finely Chopped)
  • Parsley Leaves (1/2 Cup, Finely Chopped)
  • Water (1 1/2 Cups)
  • Olive Oil (2 Tablespoons)
  • Butter (1 Tablespoon)
  • Salt (1 Tablespoon)
  • Pepper (1 Tablespoon)
  • Paprika (1/2 Tablespoon)
  • Ground Coriander (1/2 Tablespoon)
  • Cumin (1/2 Tablespoon)

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 375 Degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the Butternut Squash on top. Blend with the Olive Oil, Salt, and Pepper.

  • Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
  • Meanwhile in a large saucepan melt the Butter, and sauté together the Onions, Garlic, and Parsley Stems for around 5 minutes.
  • Mix in the Carrots, Water, Paprika, Coriander, and Cumin. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the Carrots are tender, around 10 to 15 minutes. 

  • Add in the Butternut Squash, Chick Peas, and Tomatoes. Simmer for another remaining 10 minutes until well blended. 
  • Plate and Enjoy!

I'm not one for eating while I'm cooking a meal. This time though I just couldn't help myself with this soup… I think thus far it's one of the best soups I've made in a long time. I loved the spices in it, they made the soup seem so comforting and home feeling without overpowering the other ingredients. The parsley stems added a nice pop of flavor as well that I wasn't expecting which was a pleasant surprise. (They have a peppery taste.)

I also couldn't help making a nice savory soup for this section of Eragon. It was just too fitting. Needless to say Eragon injured himself (again), and has been asleep for 2 days. It's a soup that one could take the time to make on the road, and it's hearty which is a plus for recovery. 
I wish I could've chargrilled the butternut squash over a campfire and then thrown it into a soup, but with 3 feet of snow in my backyard I doubt I'll be grilling anytime soon…

I'll be cooking again ounce Blizzard Neptune hits! So I hope I'll see you all then! If not it might be because you're out shoveling all storm - in which case I wish you the best of luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment