Saturday, March 21, 2015

Spiced Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup

Today is a soup day, in as much sense as any cold day is, and today was no exception. I can't believe how cold it is outside still. It's almost unfair… I'm counting down the days when I can actually see the backyard, and when I can venture forth to garden. I want so badly to have vegetables that I can grow, harvest, and cook with for this Summer. 
It makes me envious that the elves from Eldest are able to grow such things just by singing it into being… I wonder if I could do that sometime… Only I'm a horrible singer, so instead I'd probably kill whatever I was actually trying to grow… 

Moving on! I want to share this really nice and simple soup for the rest of these cold weather days.

Spiced Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup

  • Sweet Potatoes (2, Cut into 1/2 Inch Segments)
  • Lentils (1/2 Cup, Presoaked)
  • Leek (Thinly Sliced)
  • Whole Peeled Tomatoes (28 Ounce Can, Drained)
  • Water (6 Cups)
  • Butter (1 Tablespoon)
  • Creole Seasoning (2 Tablespoons)
  • Bay Leaves (1 Teaspoon)
  • Salt (To Taste)
  • Pepper (To Taste)
  • Shredded Parmesan Cheese (Optional)

Instructions

  • In a large saucepan, melt the Butter, and sauté the Leeks. Let this sit and sweat on a low simmer for around 5 minutes.
  • Add in the Whole Peeled Tomatoes, and slightly mash. Let simmer for another 10 minutes.
  • Add in the Water and bring to a boil, add in the remaining ingredients, and reduce heat to a simmer.
  • Cover and let cook for 60 minutes, or until the Lentils are finally soft.
  • Plate, sprinkle with Parmesan, and Enjoy!

This soup was very simple to make, and it's just the perfect thing to warm you up on these cold windy days. I love the way the Creole Seasoning helped perk this recipe up a notch, but wasn't over-the-top. 
It's something I'm sure the elves would love, especially because of the lack of meat and simplicity. If they don't I guess it doesn't really matter anyway since they're in Eldest and I'm out here.

Oh it's official, I've got my cat napping on my arm while blogging… I think that's a sign for me to say goodnight everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment