Thursday, March 19, 2015

Reuben Paninis with Homemade Swiss Chard Coleslaw

I originally made this dish on Tuesday, however with all of the festivities I was unable to post about it until today. 
I made this recipe to reflect the leaving of the dwarves from the rest of Eragon's journey. The coleslaw is a reflection of the elves that have now joined with Eragon at Du Weldenvarden. 

I wasn't sure how well the coleslaw was going to work, after all I was using the stems from my leftover swiss chard. It ended up being such a great way to use leftovers, that I can't believe I have never thought of using the stems before. Usually they are just tossed out, and now I know something I can always use them for in the future. 

Reuben Paninis and Swiss Chard Coleslaw

For the Reuben's:


  • Rye and Pumpernickle Bread (4 Slices)
  • Cooked Corned Beef (2 1/2inch Slices)
  • Sharp Cheddar Cheese (4 Slices)
  • Sauerkrat (6 Tablespoons)

For the Swiss Chard Coleslaw:


  • Cooked Swiss Chard Stems (8, Finely Chopped)
  • Cabbage (1 Cup, Shredded)
  • Carrots (1 Cup, Finely Chopped)
  • Onion (1/2, Minced)
  • Mayonnaise (1/2 Cup)
  • Sugar (1/3 Cup)
  • Milk (1/4 Cup)
  • Lemon Juice (2 1/2 Tablespoons)
  • Vinegar (1 1/2 Tablespoons)
  • Salt (To Taste)
  • Pepper (To Taste)

Instructions

  • Since the coleslaw requires a minimum of 3 hours to chill (or overnight), it's better to start this process first! 
  • In a large bowl mix together the Mayonnaise, Sugar, Milk, Vinegar, and Lemon Juice. 
  • Add in the remaining Coleslaw ingredients and cover in plastic wrap, and let it sit in the fridge. 
  • On two slices of bread stack the Corned Beef, Cheddar Cheese, and Sauerkraut. Place the other slice of bread on top, and cook in a panini maker until the cheese has melted. 
  • Plate and Enjoy!

I love simple sandwiches - sometimes you just can't beat that in a day. Not to mention this coleslaw, I don't know why I would ever buy coleslaw again, it's so easy to make!!

Tomorrow will be an interesting dish I'm sure, I just haven't come up with it yet… Those pesky vegetarian elves!

No comments:

Post a Comment