Friday, August 29, 2014

Machli Ka Salan (Spicy Fish Curry)

Hey everyone! I just made the Machli Ka Salan from The Hundred-Foot Journey (or as close to it as possible). I must confess I did have Ricky cook the fish this time so he could show me what to do. (I even tasted it!)

This recipe is my rendition of the Machli Ka Salan mentioned in this book, while I know it's not 100% what the book described I know it's as close to it as possible. (I also didn't want to cook fish heads…)

Machli Ka Salan (Spicy Fish Curry)

Main Ingredients

  • Fish (1/2 Pound, I used a Tuna Steak)
  • 1 Cup Couscous

Pre-Marinade

  • Vinegar (2 Tablespoons)
  • Salt (1 Tablespoons)

Marinade

  • Red Chili Powder (1/2 Tablespoon)
  • Turmeric Powder (1/4 Teaspoon)
  • Lemon (Juiced)
  • Salt (1/2 Teaspoon)
  • Ginger (1/4 Teaspoon, Minced)
  • Garlic Clove (Minced)

Curry

  • Red Chili Powder (1 Teaspoon)
  • Turmeric Powder (1/4 Teaspoon)
  • Coriander Powder (2 Tablespoons)
  • Lemon Juice (1 - 2 Tablespoons)
  • Ginger (1/2 Teaspoon, Minced)
  • Garlic Cloves (2, Minced)
  • Salt (1 Teaspoon)
  • Water (1/4 Cup)

Instructions

  • Marinate the fish in the Pre-Marinade mix for 10 minutes, and then rinse in cold water.
  • Marinate the fish overnight in the Marinade mix overnight (or no less than 1 hour). 
Tuna Steak - Marinated Overnight
  • Heat oil in a pan and sauté the garlic, and ginger for five minutes, adding in the rest of the Curry mix after. Bring to a light boil and reduce heat to a simmer. 
  • Boil water in a sauce pan, and make the couscous, while the couscous cooks heat oil in a frying pan.
  • Cook the fish un the marinade until cooked through. (This took about 8 - 10 minutes for our tuna steak).
  • Plate and Enjoy!
Curry Sauce Made, and Plated Up
This dish was new, and not something I'm used to… Don't get me wrong I've definitely had curry before - I'm actually a huge fan of curry. This however is not your American-style curry from whatever place you get your take out food from. (Don't deny you've had take-out curry people!)
As I was tasting my curry sauce I honestly wasn't sure how I felt about it. It wasn't like anything else I've tasted - yet it was amazing! I thought "spicy fish curry" was going to be reminiscent of when you order "spicy curry" from a restaurant - but this was more of an aromatic and fragrant spicy. It pairs so well with fish. (Yes Ricky even watched me eat a bite of this tuna!) 
I know it may not be the same as Hassan's family's Machli Ka Salan but I know it's as close to what I wanted to attempt for my first fish dish. Next time I'll actually try the fish heads, who knows it might be fun!

I'm going to post tomorrow what my next recipe will be for Sunday - if it's rushed it's cause I'm drafting my fantasy league. (Yep gonna kick some ass!)

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hahaha let's make plans for fall and you can come over for dinner! (Just not Sunday's!)

      Delete