Friday, October 3, 2014

Pennsylvanian Dutch Sandwiches

Well hello again, so much for my earlier posts... I feel like I've just been getting later about posting... You know though, a lot of that has to do with the fact that Ricky and I have been putting away Summer stuff. (And bringing out Winter stuff…)

So I want to say that this sandwich is to die for… I'm generally not a fan of sandwiches and I pretty much inhaled this, and Ricky's was gone in a blink of an eye. It's almost like a Reuben to be quite honest, but I love it so much more…

Pennsylvanian Dutch Sandwiches

Main:

  • Rye Bread (Or Something Similar, 4 Slices)
  • Ham Steak (1 Pound)
  • Swiss Cheese (4 Slices)
  • Maple Mustard (2 Tablespoons)*
  • Sauerkraut (4 Tablespoons)

Instructions

  • Cook the Ham in a frying pan until hot, and trim any of the excess fat.
  • Cut the Ham to size so that it will fit on the bread.
  • Spread 1 Tablespoon a piece per persons sandwich of the Maple Mustard.
  • Place 2 slices of Swiss per persons sandwich, and add the Ham.
  • Spread 2 Tablespoons of the sauerkraut per persons sandwich, and place the remaining slices of bread on top.
  • Use a Panini maker, or frying pan until the Swiss Cheese is melted.
  • Plate and Enjoy!

* If you cannot find Maple Mustard, just add a small amount of real Maple Syrup to some pub style Mustard. 


This sandwich was honestly so delicious. It really lingers on your tastebuds, and the Maple Mustard really helps lift the Sauerkraut to a whole new level. Plus how can you had a sandwich that is so easy to make? I know I can't.
If you like Reuben's I would highly suggest trying this particular sandwich. 

So tell me, who else has experienced cooking anything Pennsylvanian Dutch so far? I learned a little history lesson today from my sister Sabrina about why there's more German influence than Dutch - it's because the word originally was deutsch which is German. Everyone else changed it to Dutch because that's what it sounded like. Nothing beats learning new things every day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment